Writing is an indispensable skill for everybody. It doesn’t matter if it's your profession or not, writing is an activity everyone does daily. Especially in a workplace setting, it is essential to be a good communicator to be a good team member. Without proper communication, it is difficult to keep forth your ideas and work in a team.
Keep it short
Would you read a long paragraph someone sends you? Probably not. In an office, everyone is busy with their own tasks. So, unnecessarily long texts are often unnecessary and distracting. Sometimes, the core point of the message gets lost amidst all the long lines.
- Keep your sentences as short as possible short.
- It keeps communication clear and to the point.
Organize your writing
Writing well comes from thinking well. Follow a proper structure so that your reader does not get lost in the text. The below pointers can help create a clear and precise copy.
- State your purpose
- Start with an outline
- List the main points
Use data instead of adjectives
It is all about refining your content and filling it with more value. That means removing ambiguity with numbers wherever possible.
- Numbers attract attention to the written text.
- Many 70% of the people don’t read beyond headlines. But adding data instead of adjectives grabs their people’s attention.
Don’t use weasel words
Weasel words mean words like may, might, could, can, etc. Use them only where it is absolutely necessary.
- Using words like these may be is boring and makes the sentences look weak.
- These words don’t motivate readers to take action.
The ‘So-What’ test
After writing whatever you have written, ask yourself, so what? The question helps you understand whether the text makes sense or not, and provides value or not.
- If you ask 'so what' and do not find an answer, then you’ve got to work on it.
Don’t use adverbs
Adverbs make your writing look extremely lazy. Use data wherever possible to signify the importance of the verb.
- For example, if you want to say ‘our social media following rapidly increased,’ try changing the sentence to ‘our social media following increased by 5000.’
Make it easy for the reader
Your piece should fulfill a purpose. The main aim is to get results. So, no need to use intricate language. Keep it simple and reduce friction.
- Find shorter alternatives
- Avoid jargon
So, these are some ways in which we can improve our writing in a workplace setting. It will make you a better communicator, hence a more reliable and productive team member.
- 3 min read
Cracking the Code for High-Quality Meetings
There are over 7 million Google and 13,000 Giphy search results for “hate meetings”. Beyond that, there are countless posts on time and money wasted in meetings.
Effective Writing For Effective Communication - Office Version
//Writing is an indispensable skill for everybody. It doesn’t matter if it's your profession or not, writing is an activity everyone does daily.
Applying Leverage as a Product Manager
As a product manager, the job is to ensure that your team is working efficiently and effectively to deliver high-quality products that meet the needs of your customers.
Stay in the Know
Get ahead with TechUp Labs' productivity tips & latest tech trend resources